The 8D Association



8D Shed commemorative page.


The 8D Shed celebrates two anniversaries during the year 2014 it is 140 years since the opening and 50 years since its closure. During the 50 years since closure the site was used as a scrap yard and at the end of 2013 Halton Borough Council took possession of the site which will form one of the construction sites for the new Mersey Gateway project. Following the completion of the project the site will be handed back to the council, with no firm plans as to what will happen to the shed site we shall have to wait and see.

The following photographs were taken during the final 35 years of the shed's existence and show the varied motive power used for the freight workings in the area.


A track plan of 8D from August 1953 showing how the shed was sandwiched between the LNWR built Deviation line and the 'new' link from the ex-St Helens & Runcorn Gap line. 
Courtesy of the Engine Shed Society.
Engine Shed Society website

One of the earliest shots of a loco on shed at 8D is this Ramsbottom designed 4ft shunter. One of a batch built at Crewe works around 1870. The loco is an 0-4-0 Saddle Tank with 4ft driving wheels with no protection from the elements for crews and rudimentary buffers. The loco is seen outside the depot in the early 1930's and all were withdrawn by the LMS by 1933.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.


Webb designed G1 Class 0-8-0 built for the LNWR at their Crewe Works and outshopped during April 1902 standing outside the depot in the 1930's. Originally numbered 843 by the LNWR it was renumbered 8906 by the LMS and was allocated the number 48906 under British Railways. The loco never took up its new number being withdrawn during March 1949.
Photo from the Richard Mercer Collection.


An Aspinall 0-6-0 built at Horwich works by the Lancashire & Yorkshire in November 1891 stands outside the depot on 28 March 1939. From 1 January 1948 through to 30 November 1957 the loco was allocated to a variety of local depots Dallam, Speke Junction, Edge Hill and Sutton Oak before being transferred to Newton Heath from where it was withdrawn during July 1960 giving it a service life of over 68 years.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.


Webb designed 2PT 0-6-2 stands at the front of the shed on 28 March 1939 in steam built at Crewe works and out shopped on 31 October 1901. The loco would end its days at 8B, Warrington Dallam shed, being withdrawn on 31 March 1947 and scrapped at Crewe works on 31 November 1947.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.


A Webb designed 0-6-0 Coal Engine class new from Crewe Works in January 1881 standing adjacent to the water tower and coaling stage with both driver and fireman posing for the camera. Taken on 17 August 1947 the engine would be transferred away to Shrewsbury during December 1948 being withdrawn from traffic during January 1949 giving it a working life of 68 years.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.


A Webb Cauliflower class 0-6-0 58393 looks to be ready to depart the shed with its tender brimming full of coal during July 1949. Of note in the picture is the lower quadrant semaphore signal on a wooden post and the water column to its right. The loco was new from Crewe Works during November 1899 and was withdrawn during June 1952.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.


A panorama view of the shed in 1958 with a collection of engines at rest with Standards, tank engines and an 8F in attendance. The lines in the foreground are the 'new' link from the ex-St Helens & Runcorn Gap railway to the Deviation line east of Widnes South station.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.








Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT