The 8D Association



The Cheshire Lines Committee.

A study of the 14 stations that fall within the 8D area.

Liverpool Central.

Opened on 2nd March 1874 as the Western terminus of the CLC the station was a typical design for a terminus at the time. Situated at the end of a tunnel with a train shed roof and a large concourse. It was earmarked for closure with the Beeching Report in 1963. With this a new chord was opened at Allerton and virtually every service was diverted into Lime Street. The terminal slowly decayed until only one platform was used for the hourly service to Gateacre. The station finally closed on 17th April 1972 and was promptly demolished to facilitate the building of what became the Northern Line of the Merseyrail underground.


Looking towards the booking office and main building at Liverpool Central with most of the 
track now lifted and several platforms in use as a car park the station 
looks ready for closure which would happen in under 12 months.
1971.
Photo by Les Fifoot.


The final service to run from Central was the hourly one to Gateacre
which used the short length of track left when all the rest was lifted.
This service would be diverted to Lime Street when Central was
to finally close in 1972.
1971.
Photo by Les Fifoot
.


A great shot of the concourse with one of the 
stations ticket booths. Note the enamel 
Gentlemen toilet sign.
1971.
Photo by Les Fifoot.


The tunnel mouth at Central station it is evident how the station had to be carved out in places
from the sandstone that surrounds the city.
1971.
Photo by Les Fifoot.

For more information and pictures click here

Liverpool St James.

This station was located in a deep cutting not far from Central station and some of the station was hewn out of the sandstone that encircles the city of Liverpool. Sadly the station closed, as with many others, as an economy measure during the First World War on 1st January 1917. The station was never to re-open.

We have no picture of the station or its site if you do and would like to share it please send it to The8DAssociation@sky.com it will be shown here and fully credited.

For more information and pictures click here

Brunswick.

The original terminus station at Brunswick was opened on 1st June 1864 by the CLC this station closed with the opening of Liverpool Central on 2nd March 1874. With the re generation that has happened in the area Merseytravel decided to open a new station on 9th March 1998. It has a modern ticket office on the Liverpool bound platform and is a well used station with a frequent service to Liverpool and Hunts Cross.


Brunswick station looking east, the modern ticket office can be seen on the down platform.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Looking towards Liverpool Central as 507010 prepares to depart with a train for Southport.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

St Michaels.

Opened as part of the original Liverpool and Garston Railway which was promoted by the Great Central and absorbed by the CLC when the line from Garston to Manchester was completed. The station which opened on 1st June 1864 is located in a cutting with booking office at street level standing on the short tunnel which is directly to the west of the station. As with other stations along the line it closed on 17th April 1972 to allow the building of the Northern Line and re opened on 3rd January 1978. The station is still open today and has an intensive service and in 2010/11 attracted over 460,000 passenger journeys.


In the days when first class travel was available on DMU's and prior to the building of the access ramps for the Liverpool Garden Festival this rail blue service for Liverpool central High Level prepares to depart from St Michaels station.
17th August 1970.
Photo by K G Rose


507 008 leads a six car set into St Michaels station the large ramps were installed for the Liverpool Garden Festival in 1984 to provide a better flow of passengers to and from the platform.
Late 1980's.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The street level building at St Michaels are, as many others along the line the classic CLC type.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


At platform level looking east the ramps installed for the Garden Festival are clearly evident.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The steps which once provided access to the platforms are now disused.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Mersey Road and Aigburth.

Opened as part of the Liverpool and Garston Railway on 1st June 1864 the station now has an intensive service seven days a week and this is reflected in the passenger usage with over 680,000 passenger journeys to or from the station in 2010/11. The station was closed on 17th April 1972 but re opened as part of the Northern line on 3rd January 1978.


The street level buildings at Aigburth station are well maintained with a private business using part of the building.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Looking towards Liverpool the waiting room is not in use on the down platform but retains most of its canopy.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The canopy has retained its original brackets and is netted off to prevent birds roosting.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Cressington and Grassendale.

This station was a later addition opening around April 1872 but only appearing in timetables from April 1873. The station is located in a cutting with buildings at street level and an original brick built waiting room located on platform 2 which has recently been refurbished and is now in use for passengers. The station closed on 17th April 1972 but re opened on 3rd January 1978. It is still busy today with over 420,00 passenger journeys in 2010/11.


Cressington station during rebuilding work to lengthen the platforms and install a new footbridge. The station had been closed since 17th April 1972 and would reopen on 3rd January 1978 as part of the Merseyrail network.
1977.
Photo by edgehillsignalman.
To view more by the photographer click here


The charming street level buildings, well maintained and presented.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.
 

Looking towards Liverpool at platform level.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The Liverpool bound waiting room is in use here.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The original CLC drinking fountain is still on the eastbound platform, sadly no longer in use but a good reminder of the lines rich heritage.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The platform canopy supports have been retained and still provide cover for passengers waiting to travel east.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Garston.

Opened by the CLC on 1st April 1874 the station has had an interesting life built in the classic CLC style it was closed on 17th April 1972 to allow the line re building it re opened on 3rd January 1978. The station had decayed during the six year closure period and was refurbished to a high standard. Sadly the station was to close on 10th June 2006 with the completion of the new Liverpool South Parkway interchange station located only a few yards away.


The main platform buildings at Garston prior to the closure of the line for the conversion to the Northern Line. Sadly the classic CLC buildings were not retained and subsequently demolished.
1960's.
From the D K Jones Collection.
Photo supplied by t-i-a Transport Image Archive via their ebay shop.


Garston station seen during the rebuilding work to make it part of the Merseyrail Northern line network. The station had closed on 17th April 1972 and would reopen on 3rd January 1978.
1977.
photo by edgehillsignalman.
To view more by the photographer click here

For more information and pictures click here


Liverpool South Parkway.

Opened 11th June 2006 this large station has six platforms with two platforms on the Northern Line. It acts as an interchange station between the City Line and the Northern Line it now has a bus link to John Lennon Airport. The station is of a modern design and only time will tell if it looks as good in one hundred years time as the ex CLC stations still do. It was used by over 640,000 passengers in 2010/11


Platforms 5 & 6 at Liverpool South Parkway provide an interchange with the new main line station on the city line and a useful connection with John Lennon Airport.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Hunts Cross.

Opened in May 1874 the station appeared in Bradshaw in May 1875 this was the largest of the stations along the line with four platform faces. The platforms have since been reduced to three with platform three now a dead end used by MerseyRail Electrics terminating there as this is the end of the third rail electrification. The station enjoys an excellent service to Liverpool and Manchester and this is reflected in the passenger journey figures with over 1.1 million in 2010/11


The station viewed from platform one with the canopy of the island platforms, 2 and 3 with their relevant numbers clearly displayed. The one platform now not used is platform 4 with its classic CLC waiting room.
1960's.
From the D K Jones Collection 
Photo supplied by t-i-a Transport Images Archive via their ebay shop.



The original street level buildings at Hunts Cross are now in use as a public house, the new ticket office is visible to the right of the old building.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Looking east from the over bridge at the west end of the station the Mersey rail trains can use either platform 2 or 3. It is more usual for them to use the dead end platform 3 with through services using 1 & 2.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The bridge at the west end of the platforms at Hunts Cross is quite unusual having the original stone arch and a later addition of a steel bridge fashioned into the existing stone bridge.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Halewood.

Opened in May 1874 the station was not located in a highly populated area and thus suffered from low passenger numbers. This resulted in it being an early closure being closed on 17th September 1951. The story does not end there though, with housing development in the area it was decided that a station was needed so a new one was built located six chains to the west of the original. So a new Halewod station was opened on 16th May 1988 at a cost of £440,000 which attracted over 102,000 passengers in 2010/11.

We do not have a picture of the original station if you have and would like to share it please send it to The8DAssociation@sky.com it will be shown here and fully credited.



Looking east at the new Halewood station the station is a basic affair with a ticket office at street level and two basic brick built waiting shelters.
28th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


For more information and pictures click here


Hough Green.

Opened in May 1874 the station has the classic CLC buildings which are still in use today. The booking office occupies part of the main building with a Taxi firm using the rest. The original brick built waiting shelter on platform 2 is still in use. 165,000 passengers used the station in 2010/11. To the east of the station was the junction for the GC & MR Widnes Joint line which was closed on 6th December 1964 the whole joint line has been lifted.


A great shot taken from a postcard entitled  'A Sixty mph Run'. The Liverpool bound express is passing Hough Green station at speed with the platform staff seemingly oblivious to the fact.
Date unknown.
From the Terry Callaghan collection.


An LMS Black 5 with an express for Manchester runs through platform 2 at Hough Green.
1964.
Photo by Neville Conroy.


A twin 2 car Derby Class 108 disgorges its passengers whilst a later built Class 108 passes through at speed with a Liverpool bound service.
1960's.
Photo by Gordon Howarth.

Widnes.

This station has had so many different names it is hard to keep track it was opened on 1st August 1873 as Farnworth, re-named Farnworth for Widnes in 1914, re-named Farnworth for Appleton in 1938, re-named Farnworth on 5th January 1959 and then re-named plain Widnes from 6th May 1968. The station still has its main building on platform one which is still used as a booking office with a shop and beauty parlour occupying the rest. Over 300,000 passengers used the station in 2010/11.


An early picture of Farnworth station taken in CLC days.
Early 20th Century.
Photographer unknown.


Widnes station looking north, the sign still reads as Widnes North even though
the station had been re-named over a decade before. The brick built waiting
room on platform one has already been replaced by a modern bus shelter type.
1970's.
Photo by John Mann. 



A Class 25 deposits its load of ballast during engineering works at Widnes station.
6th February 1983.
Photo by John Wilson.



Widnes station forecourt which is a great example of the CLC style of building. The ticket office uses part of the building with a beauty salon in the left hand side.
26th January 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Sankey for Penketh.

Opened in May 1874 as plain Sankey the suffix of Penketh being added in 1904. The station has the classic CLC style main building which is partly used as a private residence with the remaining portion still staffed as a ticket office. The station has only two trains per hour during peak times and has no Sunday service. Despite this nearly 100,000 passengers used the station in 2010/11.


156 413 runs through Sankey for Penketh with a Liverpool bound express
much to the delight of the spotters on the platform. The CLC brick built
waiting room had recently been painted and returned to public use.
1989.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The station forecourt showing the CLC buildings the left hand side of which is a private residence.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The now unused waiting room on platform 2.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The drinking fountain on platform 1 has now become eroded over time.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The now unused station clock, all the stations along the line were provided with the same type.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The station goods yard now has private housing built upon it.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Warrington Central.

Opened on 1st August 1873 as plain Warrington with the suffix of Central being added in 1875. The station has always been busy and today is as busy as ever with as many as eight trains per hour. It has the highest passenger numbers of the stations featured here with 1.4 million people using it in 2010/11. Extensive goods facilities were provided to the east of the station and the large CLC warehouse has survived. It lay derelict for many years and has since been converted into appartments.


The station platforms viewed from the signal box as a Speno rail grinder runs through.
1980's
Photo by James Mackenzie.
To view more of the James Mackenzie collection click here


The original entrance for Warrington Central station. This entrance was underused as the convenient way into the station was via the steps from the adjacent road.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.



The new entrance to Warrington Central replaced the earlier side entrance which most foot passengers used.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Also viewed from the signal box was the still busy yard at Warrington Central with the CLC warehouses in the background. Along with the Class 47 and 08 Cartic car transporters several 4 wheeled vans and the BR yellow cranes which were once a familiar sight in goods yards across the network can be seen.
1970's.
Photo by James Mackenzie.
To view more of the James Mackenzie collection click here


The goods warehouse has now been converted into residential accommodation. The have still retained most of their character.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.



Another view from the side of the goods warehouse.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Padgate.

Opened on 1st September 1873 the station has the classic CLC buildings which are no longer used by the railway as the station is un-staffed. They are still partially in use though with a Fish and Chip shop using part and now closed Garden Centre occupied the remaining portion. The station is well kept and was used by over 80,000 passengers in 2010/11.


The station forecourt as seen today the Fish and Chip shop occupies the left hand side of the building.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The main buildings on the platform side.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.



The unused waiting room on the Warrington bound platform.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The CLC station clock.
4th May 2013.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.








Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT