The 8D Association




A Selection of maps showing the development and decline of the Hospital Branch




The 1906 Six Inch map shows the line 'as built' with a single facing junction from the up slow of the main line with a one road siding adjacent. The siding diverging from the branch, on the opposite side of Watery Lane can be seen running parallel with Mill Brook and Watery Lane. The branch runs into the hospital complex and turns south with a short siding diverging from it deep within the main building area.


By 1947 the Six Inch map shows the long siding that ran between Mill Brook and Watery Lane has disappeared along with Mill Brook itself, thought to have been placed within a culvert sometime in the 1920's. With the 1965 OS 1:1250 map, below, showing the line as disused although the facing connection with the main line have been replaced with a trailing connection and an additional siding has been provided.






Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT