The 8D Association



The Low Level line in pictures.

We would welcome any pictures showing locations along the line.


60 014 Alexander Fleming hauls a Liverpool Bulk Terminal to Fiddlers Ferry Power station MGR train along the Low Level line approaching the junction at Widnes West Deviation where the train will take the deviation line.
1998.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.



Photographed from Widnes West Deviation box a Class 47 locomotive hauling the Royal Train. Running as 1X01 it was an empty stock working from Edge Hill to collect the Queen from St Helens Shaw Street. Therefore it would have taken the SH & RGR from Widnes No7 through to Shaw St.
1977.
Photo by David Lennon.
To view more of David's interesting and extensive Flickr photostream click here


With the British Oxygen Company plant at Ditton in the background 40 015 hauls a train of 16t mineral wagons past Widnes West Deviation towards Ditton Junction. 40 015 had at this time lost its Aquitania name plates, the loco was delivered new to Willesden as D215 on 15th June 1959 it would be withdrawn on 13th November 1984 and would be cut up at Swindon works on 1st November 1986.
1970's.
Photo by Graham Earle.


47 448 is seen shortly after coming off the deviation line and onto the Low Level line. The area around here has changed dramatically since this picture was taken the lines in the foreground have been lifted and Hutchison St yard in the background where the 08 is stabled has been lifted and re-developed. This picture was taken from a similar point to the location of the Geest container in the previous shot. 47 448 was delivered new as D1565 on 23rd March 1964 and renumbered 47 448 in March 1973 as part of the TOPS scheme. The loco lasted in traffic until 17th May 1991 and it was subsequently scrapped at C F Booth Rotherham on 14th March 1996.
Summer 1987.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


56 054 British Steel Llanwern drifts past Carterhouse Junction box en route to Arpley light engine. The loco was new to traffic on 26th January 1979 and was withdrawn in December 2003 it awaits scrapping and will probably never return to use.
25th October 2001.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


A Class 47 hauled railtour approaches Carterhouse Junction box signalled to take the deviation line.
Photo by John Wilson.


40 015 and 40 063 are seen from the box at Carterhouse Junction running light engine towards Ditton. There is still quite a lot of chemical plants located to the left of the locos and the sidings to the rear of the locos still look to be in use. The leading loco was delivered new as D215 on 15th June 1959 and was named Aquitania on 16th June 1962. The loco was withdrawn on 13th November 1984 and was cut up at Swindon works on 1st November 1986. The trailing loco was delivered new as D263 on 7th March 1960 and had only a month left in service from the date of this picture being withdrawn on 16th April 1984. The loce was cut up by Vic Berry's of Leicester on 1st November 1986.
9th March 1984.
Photo by John Wilson.


66 160 heads an empty Fiddlers Ferry to Liverpool Bulk Terminal MGR train towards Carterhouse Junction. The sidings to the left for the train were for the ICI works but had been out of use for many years.
24th February 2007.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


Seen from the footplate of a loco running tender first to Warrington passing another freight alongside the Sankey Canal.
1968.
Photo by Les Fifoot.


60 058 John Howard is seen alongside the Sankey canal with a loaded Liverpool Bulk Terminal to Fiddlers Ferry power station MGR train. The lack of an eastbound junction into the power station means these trains must run through to Latchford sidings and reverse to gain entry to the power station loop.
25th October 2001.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


66 141 approaching the junction into Fiddlers Ferry power station with a train from Liverpool Bulk Terminal. 
24th February 2007.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


New to traffic 70 005 is seen passing the Monks Sidings box fixed distant signal with an empty hopper train bound for Ellesmere Port. The recent resignalling in the area has seen the removal of the semaphore signals in the area.
14th April 20010.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

47 281 of Crewe Diesel Depot hauls 6L60 Widnes to Stanlow empty tanks past Monks Sidings signal box. The loco was new to traffic on 30th December 1965 to Gateshead and was withdrawn on 17th December 1998 and was cut up by EWS at Wigan Springs Branch on 1st August 2000.
29th May 1987.
Photo by David Ingham.



20178 and 20183 hauling a Fiddlers Ferry bound MGR working towards the crossing at Monks Sidings. The Class 20's were a familiar sight on these workings in the North West at the time. 20 178 was new to traffic on 16th December 1966 and was withdrawn on 18th December 1989 being cut up by M C Metals Springburn on 25th June 1992. 20 183 was also delivered new on 16th December 1966 but lasted a little longer in traffic being withdrawn on 26th January 1990 it was cut up at Vic Berry's Leicester on 1st May 1990.
Photo by David Ingham.


60 040 The Territorial Army approaches Littons Mill Crossing with a train bound for Liverpool Bulk Terminal. The curvature of the line along this stretch is evident as the line runs through several factories. 
2nd June 2011.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


A skinhead Class 31/4 passes the crossing at Littons Mill with the twice weekly Folly Lane to Roche Dalry salt train.
1996.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


60 039 threads its way through the Crossfields complex with a train of hoppers bound for Fiddlers Ferry power station. With short distances between the boxes Monks Sidings, Littons Mill, Crossfields Crossing and Arpley all distant signals were fixed at caution.
16th May 2008.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


60 023 passing over the level crossing within the Lever Brothers works with a loaded MGR train for Fiddlers Ferry Power station. The signal box is still standing but is not manned as it is now in use as a relay room in conjunction with the resignalling of the line.
January 2000.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


31 434 passing the site of the Low Level station at Warrington Bank Quay with a trainload of salt bound for Roche at Dalry.
January 1998.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.


37 417 is seen passing Arpley Junction signal box having run along the low level line to Warrington stabling point. This loco was delivered new as D6969 on 26th February 1969 it was renumbered 37 269 on 1st January 1973 as part of the TOPS scheme and then to 37 417 when it was equipped with electric train heating in 1985. The Vulcan Foundry built loco remains in service today having completed over 40 years front line service.
5th November 2007.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.



A line up of Class 40's at the holding sidings from left to right 40 033, 40159 and 40163. 40 033 Ex- Empress of England was new to Crewe North on 21st September 1959 it was withdrawn  on 3rd September 1984 and cut up on 1st March 1985 at Doncaster Works. 40 159 was new to Haymarket on 13th September 1961 to Haymarket it was withdrawn on 21st March 1983 and cut up on 1st February 1984 at Swindon Works. 40 163 was new also to Haymarket on 18th October 1961 it was withdrawn on 6th June 1982 and cut up on 1st February 1987 by Vic Berry's, Leicester.
7th February 1982.
Photo by David Ingham.

A line up of shunters also at Arpley with 08 624, nearest 08356, 08472 and 08 273 all allocated to Springs Branch. 08 624 delivered as D3791 on 24th October 1959 to Leicester Midland the loco is still in service with Freightliner and was working at Trafford Park Terminal on 5th December 2012. 08 356 was delivered new as D3426 to Cardiff East Dock on 26th March 1958 it was withdrawn from Springs Branch on 1st November 1982 and was cut up on 24th December 1983 at Swindon Works. 08472 was delivered new as D3587 to Burton on 20th November 1958 the loco is still in service at Craigentinny T&RSMD. 08 273 was delivered new as 13343 on 12th April 1957  to Dunfermline Upper and renumbered D3343 on 23rd December 1961 it was withdrawn from Allerton Depot on 19th December 1982 and cut up on 23rd March 1984 at Doncaster Works.
7th February 1982.
Photo by David Ingham.
To view more of David's excellent and extensive Flickr photostream click here






Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT