The 8D Association is dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
The society is open to any person who has an interest in the area.
The Association covers lines within a ten mile radius of the
Widnes Locomotive Depot (8D).
Of particular interest to the society are the Garston and Warrington line, the St Helens & Runcorn Gap Railway, the Cheshire Lines Railway main line and the Great Central & Midland Railway Joint Line (the Widnes Loop), the LNWR Widnes Deviation, the LNWR Ditton Junction to Weaver Junction Line, the Birkenhead Railway Warrington and Chester Line, the Cronton Colliery Branch and the Liverpool and Manchester Railway between Liverpool and Parkside.
New pages added
The LNWR Deviation in pictures
Intersection Bridge to Reginald Road
Feature page on Visits 2013
Industrial and Private railways:-
The Folly Lane Branch &
Pilkington Brothers St Helens
The Low Level in pictures
Site visits 2013
CLC stations new pictures
CLC signal boxes new pictures
Moore Station in the early 20th century.
Widnes Station was originally named Farnworth until 5th January 1959 when it became Widnes North. With the closure of the Central station on the Widnes Loop line the station was renamed plain Widnes on 6th May 1968. The station is seen here looking west.
Photo by John Mann.
8D member John Wilson at the controls of D9009 Alycidon awaiting the road at Warrington Bank Quay with a return working to Crewe.
6th April 2013.
Photo by Mike Byrne.